If your trip to Whyalla is part of a longer journey within South Australia and Eyre Peninsula be well prepared if you are heading into a desert or remote outback area.
Are you venturing into the outback or desert where there are further amazing nature and landscapes to explore? Here are some valuable tips to keep you safe:
- Check road closures and conditions with the transport department or by phoning 1300 361 033.
- The Simpson Desert closes annually 1 Dec – 15 Mar due to the extreme heat of 40-50 °C.
- Always let other people know your travel plans.
- Be safe, take the right gear and safety equipment and ensure your vehicle is suitable, equipped and maintained for the terrain and conditions.
- Watch out for wildlife and do not interact or feed them.
- Take care at creek crossings as water can rise fast from upstream.
- Be a safe camper and do not set up in creek beds or water courses and avoid camping under trees.
- If you have a vehicle breakdown or it is immovable, do not leave your vehicle.
For more information on Outback Safety and looking after the Natural Landscape check Natural Resources SA Arid Lands.
Weather and Climate
Travel and Transport
Search & Book Accommodation
talk to us about your next Holiday
Whyalla Visitor Centre, Lincoln Highway
Open: 7 days Mon–Fri 9am–4pm.
Weekends and public holidays 10am–4pm.
Closed: Good Friday and Christmas Day
Phone: (08) 8645 7900 Email: email@example.com
Contact us by filling out the form below and pressing "submit".